Sunday, January 29, 2017

Uncomfortable. Pride. We caused it.

Been in a discussion with my Best friend on how he is uncomfortable with certain people inside and outside of our common social circle.

I feel that it is a self imposed feeling.

There are times when I feel particularly uncomfortable and disturbed when people start making over sexualised innuendos or gossip. But I managed to change the topic and guide it according to the way I wanted it. And I am going to share some practical and proven steps that I take to achieve that:

STEP 1:  Target the person's favorite subject matter.

When someone asks you about your vocation, it is usually to find out your interests. When all else fails, talk about the teambuilding sessions that the company has and discuss about them. E.g, Laser tag vs Terrarium building.

STEP 2: Find out about family.

Talk about ideals and what growing up was like, ask leading questions like, "what are some of the most memorable things you've done with your family." Look at their facial expressions and you'll roughly figure out if he is a family guy. You will get a clue if he is sentimental.

STEP 3: Ask about holiday destinations and the most memorable trip.

This will reveal the most about a persons interest and what he typically likes to do. It could be a range of things from shopping, talking to people (it will be obvious cus they will talk alot), hiking, staying in the hotel, backpacking etc...

Don't ever give anybody the excuse that they cannot click with you. There more things to life than difference in religion, tongue and ideals. It is because you have become a stubborn conservative that prevents you from stepping out of your comfort zone.

I realised that as people we like to label and feel safe in our own comfort zone and throw stones at glasshouses without realising that we are glasshouses ourselves.

There is a greater downside to pride. You want to own things and you want things to turn out the way you want to. If it doesn't turn out the way you want it, you get depressed and sad that you cannot control things and people.

When people figure out who you are they will leave you. Because people don't like to be owned.

My mantle is to love people. Yes I bitch about them sometimes. But I force myself to love because I am called to love people no matter what.

Stay humble. Stay cool. Turn down pride. It destroys people.

18Pride goes before destruction,
a haughty spirit before a fall.
Proverbs 16:18

Pride comes before the fall. 

No comments: